Master’s Degree Description
The Master’s Degree in Biomedical Engineering seeks to strengthen and enhance the studies of the Bachelor’s Degree in Biomedical Engineering. This programme provides students with a broad-spectrum training, which meets the requirements for highly qualified technical specialists to design and apply new and advanced technologies in the healthcare field, thus completing a training that encompasses all stages and aspects related to health technologies and products. If you are interested in taking this master’s degree, you can fill out this registration form without obligation registration form .
The course is taught in collaboration with the University Hospital Complex of Vigo, with part of the training being held in its facilities. This design of a dual training meets the new demands for a training that combines teaching in university centres with other training to be developed by professionals in the health sector. Therefore, this master’s degree combines technical-scientific training and technological practice, with an appropriate training in the basic disciplines of medicine, thus enabling graduates of this degree to solve any specific engineering problem that may arise in the healthcare field.
It comprises a total of 120 ECTS, divided into the following modules, external internships and a Master’s Thesis:
- Core Module (63 ECTS credits)
- Module I elective subjects (electives I) (13.5 ECTS credits)
- Module II elective subjects (electives II) (13.5 ECTS credits)
- External Internships (6 ECTS credits)
- Master’s Thesis (24 ECTS credits)
- To provide advanced training and preparation for the professional performance in the development and application of Biomedical Engineering in all activities requiring it.
- To provide knowledge and skills to develop and apply original ideas within professional and research contexts, to formulate and solve complex problems, make decisions, work and communicate effectively in new and multidisciplinary environments within the field of Biomedical Engineering.
- To provide the ability to integrate knowledge, identify responsibilities and ethical, social or professional implications related to situations within the field of Biomedical Engineering, and formulate informed decisions considering the global, economic, environmental and social impact.
- To provide the ability to lead, organise and plan projects in companies and other institutions within the field of social and health technologies, and to promote the development of learning skills that allow updating and adapting to changing environments.
- To provide the ability to design, mathematically model, simulate, implement and manage complex experiments, systems and processes within the field of Biomedical Engineering.
- To provide knowledge and skills to design and analyse systems, sensors and techniques for diagnosis, therapy and monitoring, the ability to apply the principles of radiation generation, to effectively use instrumentation and observation methods, and to analyse and interpret the signals and images within the field of biomedicine.
- To provide the ability to develop biomechanical models of the musculoskeletal system, knowledge of tissue engineering and abilities to analyse, handle and design advanced biomaterials, the ability for theoretical analysis and modelling of the mechanical aspects of biological fluids, and abilities to apply the principles of electrochemistry within the biomedical field.
- To provide the ability to manage and audit the development, production and quality of medical devices, and the ability to identify the needs in the organisation and management of clinical engineering services in health centres.
Competences of the Degree
Students must acquire these competences that are necessary to obtain the degree.
You can check them in this section: MEB competences.
To access the master’s degree, it is recommended to hold a degree in Biomedical Engineering.
The Bachelor’s Degree in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Vigo is the official university degree that has been taken as a reference to design the syllabus of the Master’s Degree in Biomedical Engineering, as a natural continuation to expand their training in this field. Therefore, this is considered as the reference degree and its graduates, according to the established merit assessment criteria, will be admitted, if applicable, without additional training to the aforementioned master’s degree.
Due to the interdisciplinary nature of the master’s degree, as stated in its scope of knowledge, it is important that the admission profile presents a basic training characteristic of any engineering: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science… Similarly, it is important that they also have knowledge in the technological field and in those fields related to Biomedical Science: Fundamentals of Electronics for Biomedicals, Fundamentals of Electricity, Mechanical Systems, Materials Science and Engineering, Biochemistry and Cell Biology, General Physiology, Medical Structure and Pathology, Medical Surgical Structure and Pathology, Biostatistics…
In addition, it will be considered a preferential requirement for admission the accreditation of B1 level in English language.
Therefore, in accordance with the merit assessment criteria established in the following section, bachelor graduates in Biomedical Engineering from any Spanish/foreign university who meet the aforementioned characteristics will be admitted, if applicable, without additional training, always taking as a reference the Bachelor’s Degree in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Vigo.
For all other applicants holding a Bachelor’s Degree in Biomedical Engineering who meet the access requirements but whose profile does not fit the reference syllabus, the Master’s Academic Committee, once the syllabus has been analyzed, will establish the additional training to be taken.
Applications for admission to the Master’s Degree in Biomedical Engineering that meet the access conditions and the specific admission requirements will be assessed by the Academic Committee of the Master’s Degree in accordance with the following formula: average grade of the student’s academic record/average grade of the student’s degree..