Description of the studies
The Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Chemical Engineering provides training grounded on the theoretical bases and on the specific technologies related to this field.
Graduates in Industrial Chemical Engineering are responsible for the design, maintenance and operation of chemical process equipment. Therefore, they study the control and instrumentation of chemical processes, experiment with organic and inorganic substances, heat transfer, matter transfer, fluid flow, and chemical reaction engineering. In addition, they study the use of raw materials, the chemistry of natural products, the analysis of manufacturing processes, environmental pollution and industrial safety and hygiene. Thus, these graduates carry out their professional activity especially in industries in which chemical processes take place, such as the oil, paper, electricity, electronics and gas industries, as well as in the environmental sector and the public administrations. They may also devote their careers to teaching and research.
- To design, implant, modify, control, optimize, organize and manage teams, plant operations, plants and products in the fields of chemical industry and process industry, with the required quality and at lower poduction costs, in environmentally sustainable ways concerning energy, materials, products, and waste.
- To provide an undergraduate course that can be recognized by other European institutions as a standard, and that can allow the students to automatically access Engineering Master Degrees.
- To train professionals capable of responding to the real needs of society in the field of process industries, in its broadest sense, including chemical and petrochemical, pharmaceutical, food, textile, environmental and other related industries. Additionally, to be able to access the civil service in areas of intervention related to industry, environment, education and science and technology; all this in harmony with professional and business organizations and according to the professional attributions recognized by the current legislation.
This course awards the qualification of professional engineer at Bachelor level (Industrial Technical Engineer).
The abilities that the students must acquire and that are necessary to obtain the degree were defined according to those established in the Order CIN/351/2009, February 9th, which sets the requirements to verify the official university degrees that award the qualification of professional engineer at bachelor level (Industrial Technical Engineer).
The professional profile of the current engineer is dynamic and will have to develop very diverse activities throughout the professional life. For this reason it is convenient to ensure a good basic and transversal training, in addition to those other specific competences that will provide the student the profile of the course.
Competences can be consulted in this section: Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Chemical Engineering Competences..
Recommended Candidate Profile
The recommended candidate profile regarding skills, abilities and previous knowledge is a student who has successfully completed the technological branch of secondary education. The following qualities are considered desirable in a student:
- Basic knowledge of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Graphic Expression and Computers.
- Full ability to read, reflect and communicate orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of a foreign language (preferably English).
- Inquisitiveness, curiosity and initiative.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Interest in the degree and the profession to which it leads.
These degree qualifies graduates to develop their profesional career in the chemical and process industries, as well as in related areas like the energy, biotechnology or environmental sectors:
- Process optimization and control:
- Control and optimization of the processes of the chemical industry
- Management and optimization of the operations of the process industry
- Biotechnology and Electrochemical Technology:
- Design and control of bioreactors
- Industrial applications of Biotechnology: Recovery of natural products, industrial fermentations, etc.
- Technological applications of Electrochemistry: Treatment of surfaces, batteries and fuel cells, protection of materials, etc
- Environmental technology:
- Management and treatment of urban and industrial wastewater
- Management, valorization and treatment of waste
- Production of liquid and gas biofuels
- Reduction and treatment of gas emissions (CO2 captures