Description of the studies
This Degree is particularly attractive because of the characteristics of the two main subjects it comprises: Automation and Industrial Electronics. These subjects have been the driving force behind an important change in economic activity, due to the growing presence of automation and artificial intelligence in processes and products, which are becoming more and more complex with the support of computers and communications. Today, it would be impossible to conceive a production line without a high level of automation and a computerized, integrated information management system.
On the other hand, humankind is witnessing the disappearance of fossil fuels, and great investments are being made on the research and development of new energy sources. The new conversion techniques in the field of power electronics have a decisive role to play.
Current products and systems tend towards greater functionality and precision, based on the integration of computer components, sensors and microelectronics. This is the scope of the Degree in Automation and Industrial Electronics Engineering, and it involves professional skills that other degrees cannot meet.
- To respond to the needs of society and the productive system in the technological field of industrial electronics and automation engineering. Graduates will be able to apply their knowledge to the design, development and maintenance of electronic circuits and automatic systems in both industrial processes and products.
- To be able to apply acquired knowledge in fields apparently far apart from industry such as Medicine, Agriculture, goods distribution processes, traffic management systems, production and distribution of energy, space technology, avionics, etc.
This course awards the qualification of professional engineer at Bachelor level (Industrial Technical Engineer).
The abilities that the students must acquire and that are necessary to obtain the degree were defined according to those established in the Order CIN/351/2009, February 9th, which sets the requirements to verify the official university degrees that award the qualification of professional engineer at bachelor level (Industrial Technical Engineer).
The professional profile of the current engineer is dynamic and will have to develop very diverse activities throughout the professional life. For this reason it is convenient to ensure a good basic and transversal training, in addition to those other specific competences that will provide the student the profile of the course.
Competences can be consulted in this section: Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Electronics and Automation Engineering Competences.
Recommended Candidate Profile
The recommended access profile includes, as a starting point, the knowledge, abilities and skills acquired in the two final years of secondary education. More specifically, the personal and academic characteristics (sensitivities, talents, specific skills…) of the most suitable candidates to start the Degree in Automation and Industrial Electronics Engineering are the following:
- Basic knowledge of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics…
- Concern and curiosity about all areas of the world of science and technology, particularly the area on which the Degree focuses.
- Sensitivity to see the limitations of others and help them in their learning process.
- Basic abilities to express themselves orally and in writing and to understand written texts.
- Basic social skills to be able to work in a team.
- Capacity for abstract thought, analysis, synthesis, and logical reasoning.
- Capacity for perception and attention.
- A sense for organization and method.
- Practical sense and spatial vision.
- Design, analysis, integration and maintenance of electronic systems and equipment, automated industrial facilities and machinery automation.
- Management and commercial organization of businesses dealing with electronic and/or automated and/or computer products and systems.
- Management of R&D projects in: automation, industrial communications, transport (railroad, avionics and automotive industries), renewable energies in electronic and automated systems applied to medicine and domotics.
- Industrial control systems, robot and automaton programming, and programmable electronic systems in general.