Master’s Degree Description
According to section 16.1 of Royal Decree 822/201, establishing the organization of official university studies and the quality assurance procedure, “The purpose of the teaching provided in master’s degrees is for students to have advanced training, specialist or multidisciplinary, focused on academic or professional specialization, or on the promotion of an initiation to research work.”
In Spain, to get accredited as professional engineer at master level (“ingeniero industrial”), it is necessary a higher level of studies and thus, it is required to have completed a university master’s degree. The Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering of the EEI confers its graduates the competencies and status of professional engineer, as regulated by the Spanish Ministerial Regulation CIN/311/2009 of 9th February 2009 and published in the Official Gazette of the Spanish State (BOE) no. 42 of 18/02/2009.
The Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET has evaluated the industrial engineering masters-level program of the School of Industrial Engineering of University of Vigo for initial accreditation.
Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering Educational Program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET, https://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and Program Criteria for Industrial and Similarly Named Engineering Programs.
This Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering of the EEI was designed taking the Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Technologies Engineering as the reference. Together (bachelor’s degree + master’s degree) they configure an integrated study programme.
It has a duration of two years and is comprised of 120 ECTS, distributed in 5 modules and a Master’s Thesis:
- Compulsory Module (6 ECTS)
- Industrial Technologies module (30 ECTS)
- Installations, Plants and Construction module (15 ECTS)
- Management module (15 ECTS)
- Adaptation Module/Orientation Module (30 ECTS)
- Master’s Thesis (24 ECTS)
Program Education Objectives (PEOs)
These are contained the Royal Decree 822/2021, of September 28th, and in the Royal Decree 1393/2007, of October 29th, and Orden CIN 311/2009, of February 9th, laying down the requirements for verification of official university diplomas that authorize their holders to exercise the profession of industrial engineer in Spain:
To obtain the degree, the student must demonstrate the following student outcomes:
- Having adequate knowledge of the scientific and technological aspects of: mathematical, analytical and numerical methods in engineering, electrical engineering, energy engineering, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, mechanics of continuous media, industrial electronics, automation, manufacturing, materials, quantitative methods management, industrial computing, urban planning, infrastructures, etc.
- To project, calculate and design products, processes, facilities and plants.
- To lead, plan and supervise multidisciplinary teams.
- To carry out research, development and innovation in products, processes and methods.
- To carry out strategic planning and apply it to both construction and production, quality and environmental management systems.
- Technically and economically manage projects, facilities, plants, companies and technology centers.
- Being able to perform functions of general management, technical management and management of R+D+i projects in plants, companies and technology centers.
- To apply the knowledge acquired and solve problems in new or unfamiliar environments within broader and multidisciplinary contexts.
- Being able to integrate knowledge and face the complexity of formulating judgments based on information that, being incomplete or limited, includes reflections on the social and ethical responsibilities linked to the application of their knowledge and judgments.
- To know how to communicate the conclusions –and the ultimate knowledge and reasons that support them– to specialized and non-specialized audiences in a clear and unambiguous way.
- Possessing the learning skills that allow them to continue studying in a self-directed or autonomous way.
- Knowledge, understanding and ability to apply the necessary legislation in the exercise of the profession of Industrial Engineer.
Student Outcomes (SOs)
The Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering is specifically designed to train professional engineers at master level, providing them with a series of skills appropriate to the needs of the profession they will perform and for which the degree qualifies them.
Students must acquire these competences that are necessary to obtain the qualification.
You can check them in this section: MEI Competences.
The admission applications are classified into three groups:
- Group 1: Graduates holding a degree in Industrial Technology Engineering from the EEI.
- Group 2: Graduates holding other degrees in the industrial field of the EEI.
- Group 3: Other graduates
Within each group, students will be ranked according to the following formula:
[average grade of the student’s academic record/average grade of the student’s degree]
- All students must accredit a level of English corresponding to B1 or equivalent in order to be admitted to the master’s degree.