Master’s Degree Description
The prestigious American Agency ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology), which certifies engineering and applied science courses worldwide, has issued a positive report on the Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering, at the School of Industrial Engineering (EEI according to the Spanish acronym) in the University of Vigo. The EEI has become one of the first Engineering Schools to be awarded this prestigious accreditation for this programme.
Besides providing higher education institutions with a structured mechanism to analyse, assess and improve their degrees, ABET accreditation also helps students to choose the best courses. Students graduating from ABET-accredited degrees have better opportunities for employment and global mobility.
For further information, please check the website: http://www.abet.org
In Spain, to get accredited as professional engineer at master level (“ingeniero industrial”), it is necessary a higher level of studies and thus, it is required to have completed a university master’s degree. The Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering of the EEI confers its graduates the competencies and status of professional engineer, as regulated by the Spanish Ministerial Regulation CIN/311/2009 of 9th February 2009 and published in the Official Gazette of the Spanish State (BOE) no. 42 of 18/02/2009.
This Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering of the EEI was designed taking the Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Technologies Engineering as the reference. Together (bachelor’s degree + master’s degree) they configure an integrated study programme.
It has a duration of two years and is comprised of 120 ECTS, distributed in 5 modules and a Master’s Thesis:
- Compulsory Module (6 ECTS)
- Industrial Technologies module (30 ECTS)
- Installations, Plants and Construction module (15 ECTS)
- Management module (15 ECTS)
- Adaptation Module/Orientation Module (30 ECTS)
- Master’s Thesis (24 ECTS)
- To guarantee the acquisition of the required competences to exercise the corresponding profession.
- To acquire a wide range of transversal and multidisciplinary training to be able to fully develop any project in the industrial sector with all the guarantees. The multidisciplinary scientific-technological training allows them to tackle different problems of both technological and management nature in a wide range of industrial sectors.
Competences of the Degree
The Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering is specifically designed to train professional engineers at master level, providing them with a series of skills appropriate to the needs of the profession they will perform and for which the degree qualifies them.
Students must acquire these competences that are necessary to obtain the qualification.
You can check them in this section: MEI Competences.
The admission applications are classified into three groups:
- Group 1: Graduates holding a degree in Industrial Technology Engineering from the EEI.
- Group 2: Graduates holding other degrees in the industrial field of the EEI.
- Group 3: Other graduates
Within each group, students will be ranked according to the following formula:
[average grade of the student’s academic record/average grade of the student’s degree]
- All students must accredit a level of English corresponding to B1 or equivalent in order to be admitted to the master’s degree.